This is a very simple dish to do. It's great for the BBQ and can be prepared two days in advance. It is best served with a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.
Ingredients (Serves four people)
4 Organic Chicken Breasts (5 - 6 oz), cut into 1.5 inch cubes
10 g of peeled ginger
10 g of peeled garlic
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt to (to taste)
70 g of thick natural yoghurt
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium size green chilli
40 g of coriander leaves, chopped
20 g of mint leaves, chopped
20 g of basil
20 g of rosemary
10 g of garam masala powder
1/2 juice of lemon
Salt (to taste)
20 ml of olive oil
1. Puree the ginger and garlic each to a paste and rub into the chicken cubes then add to this the salt & lemon juice. Leave for 30 minutes.
2. In a liquidiser place all the ingredients of marinade 2 and liwuidise to a fine paste.
3. Rub the marinade into the chicken (from marinade 1) and leave to marinate for at least 6 hours or over night.
4. Skewer & cook in a very hot oven at 200 degrees centigrade and serve with a fresh, green salad.
Cooking time (approx.): 16 minutes
Style: North Indian Vegetarian (Punjabi)
500 grams cauliflower florets
4 big potatoes unpeeled and cubed
1 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
2 tablespoon(s) ginger finely chopped
4 green chillies finely chopped
1 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
2 teaspoon(s) red chilli powder
2 tablespoons butter / ghee (clarified butter) / oil
2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped fresh coriander
salt to taste
Heat the butter / ghee / oil in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium level and crackle the cumin seeds. Add the ginger and saute for about a minute.
Add the potato cubes and cauliflower. Mix well. Add the rest of the spices and salt to taste. Mix well and cook covered on low level for about 15 minutes or till the potatoes and cauliflower are cooked. Mix in the chopped fresh coriander leaves.
As a variation, the potatoes can be boiled first and then cubed. In this case, the cauliflower florets should be added to the oil seasoned with cumin and ginger. Fry it till slightly brown and half cooked. Add the potatoes and proceed as above.
Cooking time (approx.): 15 minutes
Style: Indian Vegetarian
2 cup(s) Basmati rice
4 cups warm water
1" cinnamon stick broken
2 each of bay leaves and cloves
1 teaspoon(s) black peppercorns
6 medium sized onions finely sliced
4 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee) / butter
salt to taste
Heat the clarified butter (ghee) / butter in a heavy-bottomed pan till hot. Add the whole spices and fry for a few seconds. Add the onion slices and saute for a few seconds on high level. Lower the heat and saute on medium / low level till the onions are transparent and soft.
Add the rice and saute for a few seconds. Pour in the warm water and add the salt. Bring to a boil, cover and cook on a low level for about 15 minutes or till the rice is done and all the water has evaporated. Separate the grains of rice with a fork.
Ghee may be readily available off the shelf in Indian stores. However, it is important that it be fresh stock.
Traditionally flavored rice or Basmati rice is used for this recipe. If it is difficult to obtain Basmati rice, any other long-grained rice is fine.
Traditionally the rice in this dish is cooked with hot water till soft and little mushy unlike the firm and grainy rice like above. However it tastes simply amazing either ways.
1 kg lean shoulder of lamb, cubed
200 gms yogurt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
90 ml oil
4 bay leaves
3-4 onions, chopped
2-3 tsp ginger, chopped
2-3 tsp garlic, chopped
3-4 tomatoes, chopped
8 green chilies, chopped
1 tsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Marinate the lamb with yogurt, chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add bay leaves, cloves, cardamom and stir-fry for a minute. Also add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Now add ginger, garlic and stir until light brown. To this, add marinated lamb and keep stirring for about 10 minutesor until the lamb is cooked and tender.
- Then add tomatoes, green chilies and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the oil floats on top. Sprinkle garam masala powder, salt and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, ginger juliennes and sliced green chilies.
- Serve hot with plain rice, chapaties or crisp parathas and homemade mint chutney.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
600 GMS Chicken, cut into large pieces
Oil or butter
250 GMS tomatoes, cut into thick slices
1 bay leaf
200 ml curd
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
10 GMS cashewnuts, powdered
7 almonds, powdered
10 GMS coriander-cumin powder
5 GMS desiccated coconut
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
A few strands of saffron
4 green chilies, slit lengthwise
1 tbsp. coriander leaves, finely chopped
2 onions, ground to a paste and fried till golden
Serve hot with rice.
1.Make slits in the chicken pieces and apply the marinade mixture.
2.Keep aside for 6-8 hours.
3.Heat oil or butter in a pan. Add the tomato slices, fry for two minutes and remove from oil. Keep them aside.
4.Add the bay leaf and fry for a minute. Add the marinated chicken and fry for five minutes on high heat.
5.Add one cup water and simmer until done.
6.Serve hot, garnished with the fried tomato slices.
1 1/2 LB OR 750 gms. cleaned washed & cut Chicken
2 cups Chopped onion
2 tbsp. each of ginger and Garlic paste
1 tbsp. Chopped green chili
1 tbsp. Whole Garam masala
1 tbsp. Chopped green coriander
2 Bay leaf
2 tbsp. Kastoori (dried fenugreek leaves) methi
1 tsp. Coriander powder
1 tsp. Garam Masala powder
1 tsp. red chili powder
1 tsp. Turmeric powder
1 cup Curd (yogurt)
2 tbsp. Oil
Salt according to taste
Roomali Roti or naan
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add Whole Garam Masala and bay leaf. Sauté until cardamom starts to crackle.
2. Add chopped onions and cook until translucent and soft. Make sure to stir continuously. Add ginger- Garlic Paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder and chopped green chilies. Sauté' for a minute.
3. Add chicken pieces and beaten Curd/Yogurt and cook on a high flame for 10 minutes. Add kastoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves), Garam Masala Powder, chopped fresh coriander, salt and 1 cup of water.
4.Cover the pan and cook on a slow flame for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.
4 cups bread flour
1 3/8 cups water
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried sweet basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons chopped chives
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1. In a large bowl, stir together yeast, water, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Keep it aside .
2. Add the remaining sugar, and rest of the ingredients along with the above yeast mixture in the bowl. Combine until dough forms, and then turn out on a floured surface. Knead until dough is elastic.
3. Grease a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, and cover the bowl with a damp cloth, and set aside in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
4. Divide dough in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch bread pans. Again keep it aside to rise for 30 minutes.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 40 minutes.
1 spring chicken, cut into 2 large pieces
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
Salt to taste
1 cup whipped yoghurt(curd)
2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp green chilli paste
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp tomato sauce
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin powder
2 1/2 tsp tandoori masala powder(See "Pickles and Spice Mixes" section)
Oil/ghee(clarified butter) for brushing the bird
Make slanting gashes on the chicken on all sides.
Marinate the chicken in the combined masala for
about 4 hours.
Prepare a baking dish and brush the bottom of the
dish with a little oil.
Carefully place the chicken pieces in the center of
the dish and brush with some ghee on top.
Pour any remaning marinade into the dish and bake
in a moderate oven at 375 deg F till the chicken is
done and becomes golden brown at the top.
You might have to turn the chicken over a couple
of times to get a uniform browning effect.
Serve garnished with coriander leaves and lemon
Preparation : 10 minutes (exc. marinating time)
Cooking: 30-45 minutes